For this week’s edition of “How to Style” we’re talking a velvet midi skirt! The holiday’s are upon us and a velvet skirt is a great way to take part in the festivities! The length is classy, the velvet is sassy, and the versatility is so good! My particular skirt is a purchase from last year at Target. However, the midi skirt is still going strong and so is velvet.
I hope this post helps you get creative with your skirt. Or if you’re on the fence of whether it’s a good purchase; I hope this post helps you step outside the box and try something new! I promise it’s so much fun. These weekly “How to Style” posts have even helped me step outside my own comfort zone; which I think is a good thing! Always good to challenge ourselves and change things up.
How to style a velvet midi skirt:
- Isn’t this one so pretty? I love the pink heels paired with the pink skirt! Monochromatic style is a favorite of mine. Whether your skirt is pink, navy, or burgundy; pair it with a similarly colored heel for a fun statement.
- As for the top- a short sleeve blouse is a great option for keeping it appropriate without having to wear a jacket or cardigan. The simplicity of the white top is really pretty and visually pleasing to the eye. Tucked in or high waisted is the best way to keep the skirt and top proportionate to each other. If the top is long; I’d to a front tuck to allow for the waistband to be visual.
- Denim, velvet, and leopard print flats! Awww, this one has the best mix of texture and print. When I’m styling outfits; I try to balance color, texture, pattern. It’s all about creating a flow.
- I feel this one is perfect for day to night. The skirt is inherently dressy. While the denim chambray is super casual; making this one perfect for wearing casually. However, since the skirt leans on the dressy side it totally dresses up the button down. It’s appropriate for coffee date or dinner date.
- Tie the chambray in a knot to again create a feminine silhouette. The high waisted waistband is really pretty and looks good when it’s showed off. What do you think?
- If you’ve been around for the past few week’s of “Thursday Three” than you know I love a sassy styling! This one fits the bill. I love how the moto jacket adds some masculinity and the peep toe booties add a touch of edginess to an otherwise super feminine skirt.
- Brown and black are totally great together without the need to include a piece that incorporates both colors. However, this silky tank just so happens to incorporate all three; really pulling it all together! The tank has black, brown, pink, and a beautiful floral print. It would have been just as pretty to have a black silky tank. But, I have to say I do love a moment when an outfit comes together cohesively.
- This particular jacket hits the body at a good length. It isn’t too long. Which can happen when wearing a high waisted skirt. When the outerwear is too long it can cut off the skirt at a weird place. I’d stick with something short or long. Anything mid length will cut you off right at the hips; especially with a flowy skirt. if the skirt were fitted that would be a different story.
- Lastly, a super feminine get up perfect for an office holiday party or going to see the Nutcracker Ballet. The part that takes it to a the level of an office party or theater show is definitely the shoes of choice. Strappy nude heels are such a perfect staple. They will always come in handy. Change the shoes and this outfit can be dressed down; making it appropriate for day wear.
- Basically, the sweater is versatile. The skirt and sweater can be worn with flats, booties, or heels. Creating a different feel for different occasions. I love this about fashion. One simple switch and the whole mood of your outfit has changed.
- In actuality, the first outfit is super dressy and feminine too. It’s totally appropriate for any holiday event. I think I lean towards this last look for such occasions because it has a more classic feel with the nude heels and long sleeve sweater. Nevertheless, either would be so fun and look great for any holiday event. Sharing more of a personal opinion for when and where I’d wear these stylings.
However you choose to style your velvet midi skirt; it’s a great piece for dressing up or down this holiday season! If you you’re inspired be sure to drop a comment and share a pic of your outfit creation! Thank you so much for stopping by! Sincerely, love sharing these how to style ideas with you! Hope they’re helpful and inspiring. If you have an idea for something you’d like to see styled in the future be sure to leave a comment.
*This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. Read more on my FAQ page.*